The city is about 700 years old, and here is some of the local history as can be found on Wikipedia:
Bruneck (Italian: Brunico; Ladin: Bornech or Burnech; Latin: Branecium or Brunopolis) is the largest town in the Puster Valley in the Italian province of South Tyrol. Bruneck lies at the confluence of the Ahr with the Rienz (which itself flows into the Eisack river.
Bruneck lies 35 km (22 mi) from Brixen and 70 km (43 mi) from Bolzano and from the Brenner Pass. To the east, the town is 60 km (37 mi) from Winnebach on the border to East Tyrol.
Bruneck was founded by the Prince-Bishop Bruno von Kirchberg of Bruneck, and was first mentioned on 23 February 1256. At that time the town consisted of two rows of houses forming a narrow lane. The town walls and moat were completed in 1336 under Bishop Albert von Enn. Soon thereafter, further rows of houses were built outside the eastern gate. These led to the small Church of Our Lady (today’s Church of the Assumption of Mary). The first church inside the town walles (at first only a small chapel) was built beneath the castle by the Brunecker burgher Niklas Stuck. This church is today the Rainkirche. In 1358, Heinrich von Stuck, Niklas’s brother, funded the hospital/almshouse that was built in the following years.