According to Wikipedia it was originally a psychiatric hospital and center for pulmonology. The hospital was built according to the plans of architect Otto Wagner and opened in 1907. The building is made up of 60 pavilions that were designed by Carlo von Boog. The Kirche am Steinhof is located at the center of the compound. An art nouveau theater is found further in.
In 2000, five health facilities were consolidated under the label Sozialmedizinisches Zentrum Baumgartner Höhe – Baumgartner Höhe Social Medicine Center – Otto Wagner Hospital and Care Center. The five facilities are Advancing care, Neurological Hospital Maria-Theresien-Schlössl, Nursing care, Psychiatric Hospital Baumgartner Höhe, and Pulmological Centre Baumgartner Höhe. The center also hosts the Gedenkstätte zur Geschichte der NS-Medizin in Wien (Memorial to the History of Nazi-Medicine in Vienna) memorial and exhibition.