The Ring Tram is a tourist train which follows the Ring, which goes around the first district in Vienna. The D line is just as good for seeing most of the Ring, but that’s another matter. You can see from the sign on the top of the tram that 2015 is a special year for the Ringstrasse.
According to the WienTourismus website, “Emperor Franz Joseph opened the Ringstrasse on May 1, 1865, initiating the greatest municipal building project of the age. In the years to follow, magnificent buildings arose that shape the Vienna Ring to this day. Imperial commissions led, for example, to the construction of the Vienna State Opera, the Burgtheater, the Neue Burg, the Kunsthistorisches Museum and the Museum of Natural History. The Parliament, the University and City Hall were a reflection of the new democratic trends. The wealthy haute bourgeoisie built their prestigious palaces in the spaces in between. All of these buildings are now among the sights on the Ringstrasse.
The street, which is 5.3 kilometers long and 57 meters wide, was an elegant promenade for the upper classes. Today it is open to everyone, as is evident from such annual events as the Vienna City Marathon or the Rainbow Parade. Along the Danube Canal the Vienna Ring is also a hot spot for the youthful urban scene as well as modern architecture.”